Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cracked Wheat and Mint Salad

From the time I have started on this blog, I realised I have started cooking and eating more...In the quest to try out newer recipes, I have gone a bit overboard with the eating !!

Was looking thru my recipe books, and found this one, which was ignored and lying somewhere at the back - i realised I had never tried anything from this book "Low Fat Cooking" by Anne Sheasby
Now was definately the time to go the low-fat way. The pics in this book are really lovely and inviting, the recipes are simple, tasty and low fat - why didnt I ever try this - no idea !!
I guess the "Low-Fat" made me think bland, healthy, not-so-tasy food.
But not any longer, here's a recipe I adapted to begin with.

Nice healthy crunchy salad, perfect for the hot weather here



Sending this as my entry to JFI Wheat, hosted this month by Roma of Roma's Space. JFI - Jihva for Ingredients, is the brainchild of Indira of Mahanandi



What you need -

1.5 cups cracked wheat (dalia/lapsi)
3 tomatoes
1 green bell pepper
1 cucumber
1/4 cup raisins
3 tbsp chopped mint leaves
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper
juice of 1 lemon
(the recipe suggested zucchini and spring onions - i used cucumbers and capsicum instead)

What you do with it -

Put the cracked wheat into a large bowl and add enough boiling water to come 1 inch above the level of wheat
Leave to saok for 30-40 mins and drain excess water
Plunge the tomatoes in hot water for 1 min and then in cold water
Remove the skin, remove seeds and core and chop
Puree 2 of the 4 tomatoes
Peel and chop cucumber
Chop the capsicum, remove core and seeds
Add the raisins, chopped tomatoes, cucumber and capsicum to the cracked wheat
Whick together the tomato puree, lemon juice, chopped garlic, salt, pepper and chooped mint leaves
Pour over the salad and mix well
Chill for an hour and garnish with mint sprigs

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this one seems very do-able to me :-)

Anonymous said...

I have not received any salad entries so far. This is truly unique.

Thanks for participating.

Varsha Vipins said...

Thats such a healthy n yum salad Arch..:)

Its my first time here I guess..saw many healthy n yum dishes here..nice space..:)

Rajee said...

First time here. Great post. Love ur dish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin