Thursday, March 12, 2009

Capsicum Upma

Upma was one thing I really did not enjoy for the longest time. My mum made this for breakfast and on those days I would always come up with some excuse to skip breakfast. I preferred that to making a sad face and fiddling with my spoon forever in a valiant attempt to finish the upma.

I promised myself that once I was married and in charge of my own kitchen, this is one thing I definately would not make.
I decided that about a few other things too, but have got to eat my words now, because I actually make, and enjoy my upma these days !

capsicum upma

It all happened during one of my business visits to the US - I was sharing an apt with two other friends and we always took turns in cooking. One day, one of my friends announced she would make Capsicum upma. I, was not thrilled about the upma, and thought it was a complete waste of the capsicum, though I must admit, I was quite curious how the upma would taste with the capsicum in it.

When I had a look at it, i thought perhaps, it was worth a try and am I glad I tried it - it was really really nice, had this lovely flavour and the capsicum made it so crunchy

My friend made this without onions and I still make it that way - it turns out really nice, do give this a try if you are someone who thinks you would never like upma.


What you need -

1 cup rawa (semolina)
3 cups water
2 medium sized capsicums
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsps curry leaves
1 tomato
1 green chilli
small piece of ginger
a pinch of asafoetida
1/2 turmeric powder (For a spicier version, add vangi bhath masala)
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tsp salt

(You could use carrots, peas, potatoes instead of / with the capsicum)

What you do with it -

Roast(without oil) the rawa on low flame till it turns a little golden
Chop the tomatoes and capsicum into small pieces
Chop the ginger into strips
Slit the green chilli lengthwise
Heat a little oil in a kadai
Add mustard seeds and asafoetida
When the mustard splutters, add the slit green chilli, curry leaves and ginger
Add capsicum pieces and fry for a 2-3 mins
Add the water, chopped tomatoes and turmeric / vangi bhath masala
When the water starts boiling, add salt and the roasted rawa
Stir so that no lumps are formed, adding more water if needed
Once its done, switch off the stove and add the lemon juice

4 comments:

Preety said...

i love upma..i like to add every veggie that is left in my refrigerator to my upma:) yours too look super delicious..

Manju said...

loooks just delicious...capsicum will be a wonderful addition..wonder why i never thought of that :)

Varsha Vipins said...

wow..Upma looks yum Arch..I try n add multicolored peppers into dishes,makes 'em healthy n good looking..:)

Miri said...

I have the same story...hated upma growing up, decided never to eat it when I was cooking and of course I am cooking and making everyone at home eat it!

That looks like one really tasty upma!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin