Friday, May 18, 2012

Fresh fig and goat cheese salad

I've been having a little too much fun since I landed in Bangalore. Meeting up with friends, visiting new restaurants across town and having family around - it really doesn't get better than this..I really dread that in a couple of weeks, I will be back to the grind. Early morning alarms, packing my son off to school and the hot, hot Ahmedabad weather..

Toscano, the very popular Italian restaurant with branches across Bangalore has opened one more at a new mall close to Ma's place. I've been there thrice in three weeks and still can't get enough of it !

fig and goat cheese salad

The last time I was there, we ordered for a salad that had fresh figs, apricots and feta with rocket leaves that tasted divine. The leaves were fresh, the feta delicious and the dressing just perfect with the sweet fruits
I then happened to visit Godrej Nature's Basket store and couldn't resist buying some goat cheese - this one was the French chèvre, recommended by the very helpful person at the store. The chèvre was creamy and crumbly.

A mild dressing, some lettuce and a generous amount of figs and chèvre and it was the nicest salad I have made so far !!
This was part of my Mother's Day dinner menu

Fresh Fig and goat cheese salad

What you need -
(serves 4-6)

10-12 lettuce leaves
8 fresh figs
5-6 walnuts
100gm goat cheese

Dressing
1.5 tbsp honey
1 garlic clove crushed
juice of one lemon
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed pepper

What you do with it -

Combine all the ingredients for the dressing and set aside
Break the walnut into smaller pieces and toast them lightly
Wash and dry the figs and cut into quaters, lengthwise
Tear the lettuce and arrange in a plate
Place the figs over it
Cut the chèvre with a light hand and spread over the figs
Sprinkle the dressing over the salad and then top with toasted walnuts

8 comments:

SJ said...

This place is truly waste waste waste. Even south indian is terrible. I am waiting for the pasta recipe.

Prathima Rao said...

Awesome, fresh, inviting salad!! must try out the new restaurant on my next visit to blore :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

wow - this looks yum! Would love to have a plate ful of these...

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

Hi,
Visiting your space for the first time :) love the pictures and recipes!!
I have been dying to go to Toscano I must plan it soon, as for the salad will try soon :)
There is a new mall for the foodies opened called "foodhall" on MG road u must visit that too asap.
Cheers
Gauri

Unknown said...

yummo !!!

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

I am the only one who would love to eat fresh figs in the whole family. trust me I am drooling over your salad. fresh figs and feta what not to like?

Anonymous said...

All your recipes look amazing ! thank's for the lovely blog ;-) your recipes are great inspiration !!!! thought You might like and subscribe this http://purevegetarianbites.wordpress.com/

Parita said...

i love figs and this looks so delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin