Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Arbi kebabs in hot and sour Tomato sauce

Losing someone almost always helps us get a perspective back on our life...We look for a deeper meaning in what we do, make more resolutions on how we want our life going, reach out to people that we perhaps, at some point, have taken for granted, do things that we have always wanted to, but postponed for another day...

I know, that in the last week, I have tried to reach out to my friends, who are always there for me, but with our own busy schedules, we just haven't made time to catch up...

arbi kebabs2

From what I can remember, the thing that really got Raji / Miri and me bonding was, not surprisingly, food ! We spoke so much about cooking, food, recipes and I was so glad I met someone who loved cooking as much as I did...

A friend of Raji's sent across a beautiful poem, which would have really been what Raji would have wanted after she was gone. This is how the poem ends...

"Love does not die, people do.
So, when all that's left of me is love,
Give me away as best you can
"

Here's another one from the set of recipes that she gifted me...Miss you my dear Miri...

Here, the kebabs are more like cutlets. The original recipe says the kebabs need to be deep fried. Since the arbi was already mushy, I could imagine the amount of oil it would guzzle up, so I rolled these in semolina and then shallow friend them in a pan. Less oil and still, great taste, so worked well for me

Arbi in hot and sour Tomato sauce

What you need -

250 gms Arbi / taro root / colocasia
1/2 cup shelled and boiled peas
1 onion chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 green chillies
1" piece ginger
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp besan / chickpea flour
salt to taste
1/2 cup fine rava / sooji / semolina

For the sauce

4 tomatoes / 200 ml ready tomato puree
2 tbsp butter
1 onion finely chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp clove powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
salt to taste

What you do with it -

For the sauce -
Slit the tomatoes at one end and blanch in hot water
Cool, peel and blend to a puree
Heat butter, add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and chopped onion and saute till brown
Add the chilli powder, cinnamon powder, clove powder and pepper powder
Add the tomato puree and salt and cook for 5 mins. Keep aside

For the kebabs -
Boil, peel and mash the arbi
Pound the ginger and green chillies to a paste
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, onions and ginger-chilli paste
Fry till onions turn brown
Add the besan, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt
Add the mashed arbi and the cooked peas and mix well
Cool the mixture and then roll into kebabs
You can deep fry these or roll the kebabs in semolina and shallow fry them in a pan

To serve, spoon out the sauce in flat dish and then arrange the cutlets / kebabs over it. Spoon out some more sauce on the kebabs. Garnish with some cream and coriander leaves

8 comments:

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

I dint know Miri much but we bonded on food too through our blogs. I always found her full of life and very very wise and poised. her knowledge of food was remarkable. I am deeply saddened by this loss. dont know why but still cant make myself believe that she is no more. I am thinking of her constantly and cant concentrate much in anything. its so amazing to see how she never discussed anything of the extent of her illness and how she just carried on with her cooking, writing when she was not even able to eat much. hats off to her spirit. I also just lost a friend to Cancer and was dealing with the grief when this news came. sometimes life is so unfair...
losing a friend is always difficult Arch but its time we give her away as she wanted. great to see you cooking from the set. the dish looks delish. hope i can come back soon too.
love
Sayantani

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your loss. Take care Arch.

I cannot wait to try this.

-Suma

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about this. Take care. I will definitely try this recipe - looks delicious :-)
Reshma

Achu's Amma's Kitchen said...

looks delicious ..

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

So sorry to hear about your friend Miri. I lost a dear one recently too, and still get a lump thinking about him...
Praying for Miri and her family...
love her recipes! Treasure her gifts..

Nupur said...

A delicious party dish! How lovely to remember Raji through her cooking.

Only Fish Recipes said...

personally i never knew miri...but i could not hold my tears the first time i read ur post...i too hav a daughter n i can surely tell how she's missing her ...

that is a great recipe from miri's collection...thnx for sharing !

ninasubramani said...

Looks like a must try recipe...love Arbi.

Miri will be so proud and happy that you posted this one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin