Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Strawberry Scones and my blog is 3 !

Yes, my blog is 3 !! I can't believe I have been at it for 3 years...I am famous for taking up an interest with great enthusiasm and then one day, sooner than I'd like, its gone, just like that. Finito.

Morning walks, gymming, learning a musical instrument, dance, music, and too many others to remember...They all begin with a great determination and interest and I almost see myself like a pro in whatever I take up, but then the speed at which the interest declines surprises me (I guess those who know me are not so shocked or surprised anymore)

I must really like cooking and blogging (I really do), that's the only reason its seen me this far...3 years may not be such a big deal, but going by my history, its huge !!

strawberry scones

I've really enjoyed trying out new recipes from different books, blogs and some cookery shows in these three years. Substituting with what's available locally, slight twists and tweaks to the original recipes to suit my tastes, its been fun all along !

Here is one of those that I perhaps only read about in Enid Blyton books. Most of Blyton's books would have these grandmothers baking cakes, cookies and scones for their tea time, sunlit tables with a dainty tablecloth, vase with flowers - it all sounded just so beautiful...

I had never tasted scones till I tried baking these savoury ones with chives

For my blog's 3rd birthday, I have some seriously healthy strawberry scones for you. I had made some candied orange peels last month and added some of those along with the strawberries. This recipe is adapted from Indira's beautiful blog Mahanandi with a whole lot of changes
The wheat flour made it a bit dense, and more cake like, but the strawberries in between made up for it !

Thank you all for reading my blog...Its what keeps me going...Have a great year ahead !

Strawberry Scones

What you need -

1 cup maida / APF
1 cup whole wheat flour
4 tbsp brown sugar (add 1 tbsp more if you like it sweeter)
a pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp chilled butter, chopped into pieces
1 cup chopped strawberries
3-4 tbsp candied orange peels, cut into small bits
1/2 to 3/4 cup youghurt

What you do with it -

Sieve the flours, baking powder and baking soda
Add the salt and sugar to it
Add chopped butter. If the temperature is warm, please keep the butter in the fridge till you need it
To this flour mixture, add strawberries and candied orange peels
Add the yogurt gradually and mix to form a tight, sticky dough. Fold in gently and knead for 2 mins
Turn the dough out onto a floured or greased parchment paper covered baking sheet and press it out into a big round till its about 1/2 to 1 inch thick
I used my hand to flatten it out since the dough was too delicate to be rolled out
You could grease a rolling pin and roll out the dough to the required thickness
Preheat the oven to 220 C or 425 F. When the oven is ready, place the baking sheet and bake for 15-20 mins
The crust is crisp and the inside is soft. Slice into triangles and serve hot

11 comments:

SJ said...

You sound just like me- Jack of all trades king of none! And just like you only cooking seems to be holding my attention, blog not so much. And its becoming obsessive actually. Every time I bake and send them to J's office I secretly pray that they ask me to bake some more!

I made this scone 4 years ago when I had no idea what a scone was :) REally good no?

Cham said...

Even after 3 years If we remember our blog anniversary that's already a great deal and still prove the love for food blogging! Happy Blog Anniversary and wish you a wonderful Year too :)
The scones with strawbe look pretty!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Congrats... I also had my 3rd blogging anniv recently!
Lovely scones...

kittymatti said...

lovely presentation looks great!

Lakshmi said...

ummm...looks so yummy for tummy
http://ourlens360degrees.wordpress.com/category/foo-deli-cious/

Anisha said...

Happy New year and Happy Blogoversary!!!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

this looks marvellous..congrats on your milestone..wishing you all success in blogging..;)
Tasty Appetite

Nupur said...

Happy blog birthday and wishing you many more!!! Three years is a long time and I think what makes blogging more fun than other interests/hobbies is the strong sense of community.

Prathima Rao said...

CONGRATS Arch!!! Wishing u all the best for many more such wonderful years of blogging!!! And this is a perfect sweet dish to celebrate this happy occasion with!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Miri said...

Congratulations! :) and many more to come!

The scones look lovely, I tried savoury scones once buy they just didnt live up to my expectations !

Achu's Amma's Kitchen said...

this is awesome Arch...Congrats on ur blog birthday..

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin