Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tambde Duddhya Doddak (Red Pumpkin Dosa)

Breakfasts were always important at my mom's place, but somehow after I got married, it took a back seat. Early working hours, managing all alone, packing lunch, all this seemed to take a toll on my breakfasts.
Bread was what I could manage, if at all. I was never a cereal person. I'd rather skip breakfasts that have cereals ! After about 2 years of completely messing up with my system - No breakfasts, just mugs of coffee at work and eating at wrong hours and I was suffering from terrible acidity. After that I got more serious about breakfasts, and now over the years, getting older and wiser(!) I realised how important breakfasts are...
So please guys, if you aren't eating breakfasts, time for you to seriously consider starting on them

Doddak (Thick dosa) was made very often for breakfast at Ma's place. I had almost forgotten about it till I saw this post for taushe doddak on Vani's blog. I made it every week after that. I then remembered Ma making this red pumpkin doddak. It had a sweetish taste and was one of the few sweet things I really enjoyed.

This one was what my son had with some jaggery syrup smeared on top..he can eat anything with jaggery syrup !

duddhya doddak

And this is my spiced up version...

spiced doddak

What you need -

2 cups grated red pumpkin
1 cup grated coconut
2 tsp grated jaggery
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 cup semolina / rava /sooji
3/4 - 1 cup water
oil

What you do with it -

Mix all the ingredients, except semolina, water and oil
Keep aside for about 10 mins. The salt added to this will make it a little watery
Add semolina to this and add water just enough to make a thick batter. It should way thicker than what we make for a regular dosa batter
You may not need to use all the water - it needs to be a really thick batter
Heat the tava and smear a little oil on it
This batter cant be poured out, so spoon the batter onto the tava, maybe 2-3 spoon fuls
Spread as much as you can and then cover and allow to cook for 2-3 mins on medium heat
Flip over and cook for another minute or so
Serve hot with jaggery syrup / honey / butter

If you are like me and dont like the sweetish taste too much, add a few cumin seeds, chopped green chillies and chooped coriander. The sweet / spicy taste, I think, is way better !

8 comments:

Parita said...

Pumpkin dosa sounds delicious and looks very inviting..i have recently started experimenting with pumpkin :)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

That sounds interesting... Yum!

Vani said...

Thanks for the mention, Arch. I have to try your red pumpkin with jeera version. Sounds and looks so good!!

Miri said...

I can't do without breakfast and they continue to be a substantial meal for us, especially on weekends.

This looks like it could be a great addition to our routine menu! Thanks

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow....extremely drool worthy....

Varsha Vipins said...

yumm..all these doa varities are new to me..actually I have tasted a few like this long back..I had a thulu brahmin frnd n her mom used to make such yummy things for us..:)..I like the crispness hre Arch..:)
btw.thanks for trying out the theeyal n glad u liked..Do try the roast too..Thats a total hit n loved by so many..:)

kitchen queen said...

wow! never heard of red pumpkin dosa but it is worth a try. you can visit my blog view my recips and give ur comments.

Anonymous said...

Arch, I tried this ...it was yummy...Sri loved it too ...made a perfect sunday morning breakfast item !
- Vinaya

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin